Setting ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS with ':=' vs '='

From: R. Diez
Subject: Setting ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS with ':=' vs '='
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:36:18 +0100

Hallo there:

If I add this line to my Makefile.am (and I make sure that the 'm4' subdir is
created beforehand), then it works as intended:

  ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4

However, if I use this syntax:

  ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS := -I m4

Then I get the following warning:

  libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.

I don't think using ':=' instead of '=' should matter here. Or am I missing
something? I took a quick look in the Automake manual and did not find anything
in this respect.

I am using Automake vesion 1.14.1 on Ubuntu 14.04. Some background information
to this matter:

There are 2 variable flavors in GNU Make: "recursively expanded variables"
(A=B) and "Simply expanded variables" (A:=B).

I prefer the latter. From the GNU Make manual:

"Simply expanded variables generally make complicated makefile programming more
predictable because they work like variables in most programming languages.
They allow you to redefine a variable using its own value (or its value
processed in some way by one of the expansion functions) and to use the
expansion functions much more efficiently (see Functions for Transforming
Text)."

That flavor is now a POSIX standard (with syntax "::="), so it should be
portable too (at least in the future).

Thanks in advance,
  rdiez