Re: Autotools and CMake

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: Autotools and CMake
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:08:35 +0000

+++ Warren Young [2014-12-26 18:46 -0700]:

> The thing about CMake is that its generated Makefiles contain cmake calls, so
> they’re not independent of CMake, as Automake-generated Makefiles are
> independent of Automake.  Therefore, if you ship CMake-generated Makefiles
> with your distribution tarballs, you create two problems:
>
> 1. Those building from the distribution tarball still need cmake.
>
> 2. If the timestamps don’t force a re-generation of the Makefiles, they will
> only work on systems that are substantially similar to the one the
> distribution tarball was created on.

Exactly. cmake is designed to be run on/for the host system at build
time, which is a fundamental difference from autotools which are
designed to be run at release time on any machine to generate stuff which
can be run at build time on/for the host.

So cmake is always a build-time dependency of a cmake-using package.

> Better, in the end, to simply make cmake a build prereq for all users.
>
> Therefore, I’d add a check for the existence of CMake on the build system to
> configure.ac, followed immediately by something like
>
>     mkdir -p build ; cd build ; cmake ..

Right.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/