Re: automake for fortran with modules

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: automake for fortran with modules
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:23:16 +0100

Rudra Banerjee writes:

> I am looking for something more automatic, like if I directly create a
> makefile, I will probably do something like:
> %.o: %.f90
>         $(F90) $(COMPFLAGS) $*.f90
>
> Is this possible to do something like this for automake as well?

At least not out of the box: currently automake generates dependencies
on-the-fly, because in languages as C or C++, every translation unit can
be compiled independently of the rest, while simultaneously creating
dependency information for future builds.

With Fortran this is not true anymore, since the compilation order must
always follow the dependency chain, or else any module importation will
fail.

--
Alberto