Re: converting to subdir-objects

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: converting to subdir-objects
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 18:44:05 +0000

Bob Friesenhahn writes:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> >
> > The problem I'm seeing (with at least automake-1.12.1 and automake-1.15)
> > is that the .deps directories are not being created along the subdir
> > path, so the build is failing.
> >
> > So if A/Makefile.am contains:
> >
> > foo_SRCS = ... $(srcdir)/../foo/bar.c
>
> As far as I am aware, it is wise/required that source paths be
> subordinate to the Makefile.am location (no .. bits).  All source
> files are available under the Makefile (possibly via VPATH) so the
> $(srcdir) bit is also harmful.  Perhaps there is some stylistic reason
> to want to put the top-level Makefile in a subdirectory of the
> project?

It's looked like this for decades.

There are several/many cases where a program or library in its
subdirectory wants a file from a "peer" elsewhere in the tree.

> Are you doing this so that there is one Makefile per program?

I prefer that as well.

> Due to the availability of Automake include files, hardly any text
> need appear in a top-level Makefile.am, although the full content of
> Makefile.in would appear at that location in the source package.

I'll probably be doing that too, but at this point I'm looking at the
"include" solution more for a conversion to non-recursive Makefiles,
which I'm also not thrilled about because there are plenty of times I
want to go to a specific directory and run "make" and have it DTRT.