Re: Part 2: Add Cleanfiles for User Defined Special Sources [Re: How to

From: Marc Wäckerlin
Subject: Re: Part 2: Add Cleanfiles for User Defined Special Sources [Re: How to add new Makefile-Rules through Configure?]
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:23:23 +0100

Am 10.03.2015 12:56, schrieb Bert Wesarg:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Vincent Torri <address@hidden> wrote:
imho, configure.ac is for configuring the project, not defining 'make'
rules. These 'make' rules should go into Makefile.am :

I can only second this. Nobody is forced to use also automake with
autoconf. But if your extension require autoconf *and* automake, than
you can also insist, that the user of your extension manually edit
both, i.e., configure.ac *and* Makefile.am.

Not really helpful. It's another philosophy, that I don't share.

My philosophy is: I am extremely lazy, I want everything for nothing, that's why *I* use autotools ... :)

Here in this context, my philosophy is: The programmer should concentrate on his stuff only, not on the tools he is using. He should only declare, what he wants to build, and then everything that is generic, and the same in all his projects, should not bother him. I think, that's exactly the idea of the inventors of the autotools...!

For me, that's extremely important: I maintain a dozen of projects, some at home, some at work and all have more or less the same autotool-based environment. If I change or add something, now I have to touch dozens, up to hundreds of files. That's why I don't want to have generic stuff spread over all files.

So, if I declare in a configure.ac: AX_I_WANT_TO_USE_QT, then it would make a lot of sense, that through only this declaration, all makefiles would automatically understand, how to cope with Qt specific ui or moc files, so that the programmer only has to declare the sources he depens on.

But I'd rather like to have a technical discussion here, not a philosophical one.

I know exactly what I want and I know exactly why I want it, so my question is absolutely limited to: How do I get it?!

So please stop trolling.

Thanks
Regards
--