Re: How are env variables passed to the compilation process

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: How are env variables passed to the compilation process
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:55:08 -0400

On 2015-03-10 22:04 +0000, Andy Falanga (afalanga) wrote:
[...]
> I go through the list of output made by the build process and discover
> that the build process didn't do what seems to be the "standard"
> options, "-O2 -g".   Neither of these were used.  So, I thought I'd
> add them.  I did this:
>
> make clean
> ./configure CFLAGS="-ggdb -O0" CXXFLAGS="-ggdb -O2"
> make
>
> Much to my surprise, the "-ggdb -O0" didn't appear then either.  Did I
> miss something?  Isn't this how they are set?

Normally this is fine.  If it is not working, then probably your
configure and/or Makefile are ignoring the user-set values.  For
example, code like this...

> CPPFLAGS=" -D__linux__ -DADT_TRACE_ENABLE=0"
>
> if [[ $debug = "true" ]]; then
>     CFLAGS=" -O0 -ggdb"
>     CXXFLAGS=" -std=c++0x -O0 -ggdb"
> else
>     CFLAGS=" -O2 -g"
>     CXXFLAGS="-std=c++0x -O2 -g"
> fi

...will override any user assignment to CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.
It is also basically guaranteed to fail on any compiler that is not
compatible with GCC.

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)