RE: Trouble creating a check program in automake

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: RE: Trouble creating a check program in automake
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:10:45 -0700

My modified src/Makefile.am is:

# Testing SLIP

testdir            = ./test

check_PROGRAMS      = test
test_SOURCES       = $(testCPP) $(testHead)
test_LDADD         = libslip.a
TESTS              = $(check_PROGRAMS)

CLEANFILES         = $(testdir)

I have found that if $(testHead) is not included then the compile is not
successful because the header files are not found.

The reported sequence of commands for 'make check' are:
        make check
        make check-Tests

The compile of my test is successful but linking is not done. The message
is:

        g++: warning: Test.o: linker input file unused because linking not
done

for each source file. This error occurs for both 'make check' and 'make
check-Tests' indicating, I suppose, that there are two attempts to link.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've now attempted to read four manuals
trying to find out how to make this fool thing work and am just stymied (and
frustrated).

art