RE: Autmoake (test) editing

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: RE: Autmoake (test) editing
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:35:10 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Friesenhahn [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 4:05 PM
To: Arthur Schwarz
Cc: address@hidden

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Arthur Schwarz wrote:

> Editorial comments on TAP

I successfully used the TAP documentation to add TAP test support to
my own project.

Did you intend to not include a patch to fix the issues you noticed?

I think that ".trs" files must be a project-specific test script
extension.  All the TAP script needs to do is to print the expected
number of 'ok' and 'not ok' messages.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

---------------------------------------

Well, I've never done a patch. More appropriately, the Automake document
needs a thorough review and rewriting. I don't have the knowledge to do
that, I don't know automake. More appropriately, the patches would be more
extensive then just casual corrections, and I don't have the authority to do
them.

My argument is that the document unsuccessfully presents a quality product.
I can participate in a dialog of how to change the product documentation so
that it provides the Autoake developers intent in a manner suitable for a
new user, and suitable as a reference for an experienced user. But, sign, I
haven't been asked.

If you can provide some guidance as to what needs to be done in an .am file
to install and use TAP, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, one last thing. It is my feeling that the intent of a product document
is to state everything that a user needs to know to use the product, not to
prod the user to 'guess or infer' how something works, and then to
experiment until the right guess leads to the right result.

Thanks for writing;
art