The right way to use standard variable in configure.ac

From: Andy Falanga (afalanga)
Subject: The right way to use standard variable in configure.ac
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 23:04:48 +0000

Hi,

I placed the following in my configure.ac file:

CPPFLAGS="-DMACRO1 -DMACRO2"

because I found that as an example on a webpage someplace.  I reviewed so many
learning about the autotools that I don't recall which one now.  I did this
because there were some preprocessor flags that I wanted to have common to all
sub-makefiles.

I ran into a problem today, however, where I needed to add a -I directive to my
CPPFLAGS in order to find the necessary headers.  Then, the problem stepped in.
 Because I placed this line in configure.ac, it was transcribed, verbatim (as
it should), into configure.  The net result: not matter what I placed on the
command line was ignored.  For example, the following:

CPPFLAGS=-I/path/to/the/alternate/location ./configure --build=x86_64-linux
--host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi

The additional path wasn't being appended, it was being stomped.  Did I miss a
macro?  How should this be done because, obviously, I've gotten it incorrect.

Thanks,
Andy