Re: Question on AM_TAP_AWK

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Question on AM_TAP_AWK
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 10:17:50 -0400

On 2015-04-06 06:44 -0700, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
> Automake manual pg. 120

When referencing the manual it is best to provide section numbers,
and also quote the section title.  Ideally, further include a brief
quotation of the text you are discussing.

Page numbers:

  (a) don't exist in non-print formats, and
  (b) change over time.

Section headings suffer from (b) too but to a much lesser degree.

This is important not only so that we can figure out what part of the
manual is being discussed today, but also so that 10+ years from now,
someone searching can find this question can understand the context.

> Does anyone know where AM_TAP_AWK is defined and what it does?

I assume we are talking about ยง15.4.2 "Use TAP with the Automake test
harness"[1], specifically this line in the example:

  TEST_LOG_DRIVER = env AM_TAP_AWK='$(AWK)' $(SHELL) \
                    $(top_srcdir)/build-aux/tap-driver.sh

AM_TAP_AWK is defined right there, in the example code.  Its purpose is
to tell the tap-driver.sh program which AWK program to use.

[1]
https://gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Use-TAP-with-the-Automake-test-harness

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)