How are TAP programs initiated?

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: How are TAP programs initiated?
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 08:24:07 -0700

I’ve looked through tap-driver.sh and Makefile and I have missed how a test
script is executed and information passed to tap-driver.sh. I do know that
the program passed to tap-driver.sh seems to be ignored. The ${AWK} program
then reads from a 'getline' which I guess reads from a piped input, but I
can't find in Makefile where the script is executed. Is the stuff preceding
tap-driver execution executing the test scipt?

Is TAP processing:

    ./script | tap-driver.sh      # or
    tap-driver.sh -- ./script     # passed as an argument

Maintenance turns design into chaos