SUBDIRS without installing library inside it

From: Zesen Qian
Subject: SUBDIRS without installing library inside it
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:11:58 +0800

Hello,
I want to nest a third-party library in my software and statically link
it. The library is distributed in the autotools style. So the only thing
I have to do is adding "SUBDIRS = libabc" to the top-level
Makefile.am, and everything works.

The problem is that, in libabc/Makefile.am there is a line saying
"lib_LTLIBRARIES = libabc.la", so when I do a "make install" the library
is also installed which is not needed at all. I can avoid it by changing
that line into "noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libabc.la" but I don't want to
modify the library source tree everytime a new release of that library
is availble.

Any comment is appreciated.
--
Regards, 祝好