Re: Turn off C compiler warnings in automake

From: Thomas Jahns
Subject: Re: Turn off C compiler warnings in automake
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:58:52 +0200

Hello,

On 06/22/15 15:44, Alex Vong wrote:
Is there any easy way to turn off c compiler warnings (those printed
to stderr) portably?

From my point of view, the easy way is to write portable code which does not generate warnings. This is also the preferred and recommended way.

But automake is quite agnostic in this regard: no part of it (at least that I know of) makes the compiler generate more warnings than the code produces anyway with the selected compiler warning flags.

I think you are trying to handle something that is quite external to automake within, which can only lead to problems later on.

Please clarify under what circumstances you get unwelcome warnings. If a user of some package builds it with e.g. gcc -Wall, said user is in my opinion entitled to all the warnings that gives.

Regards, Thomas