Re: [libtool] make install fails after an incremental build after a pref

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [libtool] make install fails after an incremental build after a prefix change?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 10:21:30 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015, Kees-Jan Dijkzeul wrote:

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Gavin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

You want not to rebuild files that don't need to be rebuilt.

Although I tend to agree, we may differ on opinion on the importance
of this. I'd argue that it is much more important to not forget
rebuilding files that actually needed to be rebuilt. The only good
thing I can say about the current behaviour is that, at least, it is
not failing silently.

In order to successfully function, autotools must make several basic assumptions. For example, it must assume that the compilation environment does not change since the configure script was run, and it must assume that the configuration is not changed while there are already built files present. Automake depends on portable make constructs so only so much can be done.

Your concern is unlikely to be addressed so it is wise to deal with the current behavior and make adjustments to your build processes.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn