Re: Problem with VPATH builds and SCRIPTS primary

From: Raphaël Halimi
Subject: Re: Problem with VPATH builds and SCRIPTS primary
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 11:28:23 +0200

Le 27/10/2016 à 23:06, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Raphaël Halimi <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> According to section 2.2.6 of GNU automake documentation:
>
>> "The build tree usually has the same subdirectory layout as the source
>> tree; its subdirectories are created automatically by the build system."
>
>> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be true for the SCRIPTS primary (I
>> assume it's true and works as expected for compiled binaries and
>> libraries, I can't know, I'm new to autotools and I'm a sysadmin, I
>> develop only scripts, nothing compiled).
>
> I've run into this problem before, and just had Autoconf create the
> directory by adding:
>
> AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS([server], [test -d server || mkdir server])
>
> (in my case, the name of the directory containing the scripts was server).
> It's kind of a hack, but it works.

Thanks, this trick worked.

On a more general note, I don't understand why the SCRIPTS primary is so
much "inferior" to the PROGRAMS one; the latter automatically takes care
of files to be distributed or cleaned, and of subdirectories creation,
whereas the former needs those files to be explicitly included in
EXTRA_DIST and CLEANFILES, and the subdirectories to be manually created.

How comes ? Is there a technical limitation that makes those things
impossible (or too hard) to guess for scripts ?

Regards,

--
Raphaël Halimi