Re: Defining data files to install

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Defining data files to install
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:33:06 -0600

On 01/26/2017 03:22 PM, Julie Marchant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little confused about how to set up Autoconf to install data files
> for the program to use later, and I wondered if someone can clear up my
> confusion.
>
> For reference, the pertinent program is Project: Starfighter:
>
> http://starfighter.nongnu.org
>
> Starfighter has a few different directories with required data files:
> "data", "gfx", "music", and "sound". All files in these directories need
> to be installed to a location that gets defined as DATADIR. From what I
> understand so far, the directory I want to use is the one stored in the
> pkgdatadir variable, and I include files to install there by assigning
> them in a Makefile.am to pkgdata_DATA. But listing the files out from a
> Makefile.am in the same directory doesn't copy the directory structure,
> and if I indicate a directory from the top-level Makefile.am, "make
> install" just ignores (or rather, "omits") it and then spits out an
> error with no accompanying information.

Makefile.am is read by automake, so your question is more likely to be
answered in the automake manual than the autoconf manual.

> What am I missing here? How can I install these data files not into the
> top-level pkgdatadir, but in the respective appropriate sub-directories
> of pkgdatadir (e.g. "$(pkgdatadir)/data" and "$(pkgdatadir)/music")? I
> can't find any documentation on how to do this anywhere.

Automake lets you define new targets that are subdirectories.  In fact,
a quick search for $(pkgdatadir) found an example that might be
pertinent to your use case:

https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Alternative

But I'm not as good at automake as I am at autoconf, so I'm cc'ing that
list in, in case someone else has more ideas.