Parallel build sometimes resulting in "fatal error: config.h: No such fi

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: Parallel build sometimes resulting in "fatal error: config.h: No such file or directory"
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 21:16:04 +0200

This only occurs sometimes but it is reproducible if I try often enough
- and I have absolutely no clue why.
I haven't spotted the executed (wrong) rule in the generated Makefiles
so I have no idea why this rule kicked in at all - maybe it is the
standard in-built C compilation rule?

Does someone else encountered this issue before or is this specific to
our sources?

This error was produced by a build scripts created by Automake 1.12.2.

Some background:
GnuCOBOL consist of one main directory with 4 sub-directories
(concerning the actual source/compilation): lib, libcob, cobc, cobcrun.

Running without `make -j` always work but using parallel builds sometime
break with the mentioned error.

The output from a testing machine can be seen below (note: the build
worked 3 times - I've always used `make clean` and ran `configure`again,
but then the error happened multiple times, 1x libcob, 1x cobc, 2x
cobcrun, then finished clean), the issue is always the same, the
*compilation command* is wrong:

~~~
gcc -O2 -pipe -finline-functions -fsigned-char -Wall -Wwrite-strings
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-format-y2k -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE
-Wl,-z,relro,-z,now,-O1  /home/simon/gnucobol/cobc/../cobc/cobc.c   -o
../cobc/cobc
/home/simon/gnucobol/cobc/../cobc/cobc.c:26:10: fatal error: config.h:
No such file or directory
 #include "config.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
~~~

where it should be (and normally does and also does on a second/third try):

~~~
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/home/simon/gnucobol/cobc -I..
-I/home/simon/gnucobol  -O2 -pipe -finline-functions -fsigned-char -Wall
-Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-format-y2k -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE
-MT cobc-cobc.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/cobc-cobc.Tpo -c -o cobc-cobc.o `test
-f 'cobc.c' || echo '/home/simon/gnucobol/cobc/'`cobc.c
~~~

The include options and defines (and other options) are missing and I
have no clue why...

Full output (snipped the 2nd failing cobcrun as the messages was 100%
identical to the first one) is attached.

The actual .am files are in vcs at
   svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/open-cobol/code/trunk
and recently hand-mirrored to git at
   https://gitlab.com/GNU/cobol/tree/master

If there's anything else missing in this information please drop a note