automake: tap-driver.sh: cleanup and revival.

From: Mike Mestnik
Subject: automake: tap-driver.sh: cleanup and revival.
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 20:17:02 -0500

I'm reading this script closely because I'd like to make a few changes
and am surprised it hasn't received any edits since 2012.  I think the
output is missing ratio of *test's failed, currently only file level
stats are presented not test level, and also the following options
from prove.

--verbose         Print all test lines.
--failures        Show failed tests.

* This to me is a key feature of TAP and this script silently discards
the most useful parts of the protocol.

Somethings I'v spotted that are driving me nuts.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/tree/lib/tap-driver.sh#n100
Clearly indicates that "--color-tests=yes" is the only way to enable
color, there is no auto-detecting a PTY or any support for the
documented "--color-tests=always"

It's also crazy that "--color-tests=y" or "--color-tests=1" won't work
and like wise "--comments" "--no-comments" seems out of place or
rather a better way to implement Boolean arguments.

Is there much interest in keeping this script the way it is or can I
lobotomize and release it under a new name?  Suffix of ng is popular
these days, tapng-driver.sh. or tap-driverng.sh