make check stderr?

From: Mike Mestnik
Subject: make check stderr?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:04:42 -0500

I have two questions, the first is about stderr output of tests,
sometimes I like to run under strace to see why the test is failing.
I can't seem to find where stderr is being redirected. I thought it
was in [1]tap-driver.sh so I patched it but still no [2]strace output.
I want to do this under make for travis-ci, so the test can run under
a controlled and known environment.

1.
https://github.com/cheako/tor2web/blob/33572b2ee888c12f91817f33dd90cfe6bd37622d/.tap-driver.sh#L138
2. https://travis-ci.org/cheako/tor2web/builds/292915873#L1809

The other question I had was about overriding check.am, is there a way
to include a replacement copy of this file in my project to enable
extended support for TAP?  I want to have the summery include stats
from TAPs tests and plans.