Re: Proposal Accepted for GSoC

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Proposal Accepted for GSoC
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 20:43:59 +0200

Hello Vishal,

Vishal Gupta <address@hidden> writes:

> My proposal for the project " Parse Makefile.am using abstract syntax
> tree" has been accepted and I am excited to start working on the same.

Congrats!

> The community bonding period will be till 14th May. As discussed in
> the proposal, I will be working on improving my perl skills and
> understanding the Automake's Code. Some queries about that :
>
> 1) Good resource for studying Perl and important concepts required for
> completing the project. A short task of 4-5 days would be great for
> testing my knowledge of perl and quantify my progress.

Like I said to Matthias, Perl comes with an extensive set of manpages
which consist of tutorials and reference manuals.  ‘perlintro(1)’ is a
good entry point.  The “Learning Perl” book by Tom Phoenix and Randal
Schwartz is a nice introduction to Perl.

You will need to get familiar with perl references which is a somewhat
advance topic in order to build recursive structure for the AST.

To learn Perl I think it is important to have an interactive environment
‘perl -d -e ''’ is useful for that.

> 2) How to go about understanding the Automake code .

The first step is to compile it from the Git repository and report
unclear points.  I encourage you to get familiar with Automake from a
user perspective by creating build definitions for some dummy C programs
and libraries by following the Automake manual which is nicely written.

> 3) Any other task required to be completed during the community bonding
> period.

I think, it is important that you get more familiar with Git usage and
good practices before the coding period.  There is a lot of resources
online and particularly a great book freely available:

  https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

> As discussed in the proposal that I will be having my exams from 8th
> to 15th May, so I will try to complete the work before that time.

No problem.

If you have any question or difficulty in your discovery, you can ask on
the #autotools IRC channel on Freenode or directly to me (my pseudo is
‘mthl’).  I am not sure about your actual timezone (mine is UTC+2) but
if you are from India don't expect me to available too soon in the
morning.  :-)

HTH,

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37