Re: automake compile problems

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: automake compile problems
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 12:01:46 -0500

On 05/30/2018 11:12 AM, Andy Armstrong wrote:

To give some context to what I am doing, here is the timeline:

I did have Automake version 1.10, but my ultimate goal here is to compile the
nano text editor, which requires at least automake 1.15 and autoconf 2.69.

That's if you are modifying the source files and actually developing nano on your mainframe. But what's wrong with the (often simpler) approach of using a more typical development box, probably using GNU/Linux, with modern autotools already installed, and running 'make dist' on the nano package there, then copying the tarball over? Once you've done that, './configure && make' should work without requiring either automake or autoconf installed on the mainframe. After all, the point of the autotools is to build self-contained tarballs that no longer require the presence of the autotools.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266