Re: automatically showing test-suite.log on failure?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: automatically showing test-suite.log on failure?
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 11:37:07 -0600

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Karl Berry wrote:
> > However, this seems like it would be fairly commonly useful and easy
> > enough to do in the canonical test-driver script. So, any chance of
> > adding it as a standard feature? Any reasonable way of enabling it would
> > be fine, e.g., a flag that can be added to [AM_]LOG_DRIVER_FLAGS.
>
> Take care since some test logs could be megabytes in size.

I want to put a point in that often users try to be helpful and email
that multi-megabyte log file as an email attachment to bug reporting
mailing lists that sometimes have a lot of subscribers.  This is very
painful on the network bandwidth usage.  And also every downstream
subscriber, perhaps on a metered cell modem data plan, pays the cost
of receiving it whether they can help with it or not.

If there is some way, clever or not, to encourange the user to
compress that log file before attaching it that would save a lot of
downstream pain.  When compressed that log file is a small fraction of
the original size and rarely a problem.

Just mentioning it to keep it in the brain cache when thinking about
improvements here.  :-)

Thanks!
Bob