pkg-conf and LD* variables

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: pkg-conf and LD* variables
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 23:42:52 +0000

pkg-conf offers the following ways to get "link flags":

 --libs         All link flags
 --libs-only-L  The -L/-R stuff
 --libs-only-l  The -l stuff
 --static       Output ilbraries suitable for static linking

and then says the union of -only-L and -only-l may be smaller than the
output of -libs because the latter might include flags like -rdynamic.

We're already having to parse the output of pkg-config to try and
separate LDADD stuff from LDFLAGS stuff,  And this is before we start to
address static v. dynamic things.

This is because we really don't want -L stuff in LDADD, because we end
up with things like:

 No rule to make: -L /usr/local/lib

(or something).

The autoconf macro PKG_CHECK_MODULES hasn't been all that helpful to us.

What's a good way to deal with this?

One could say that pkg-conf could be doing a better job.  But even if it
does, this would still require the folks who write the .pc files to do a
better job of specifying their contents.

Until we can expect .pc files to have proper content, I suspect we're
going to need to have better smarts in autoconf/automake.

But this will also require some better info about exactly how to do
this, and it MIGHT be useful to augment PKG_CHECK_MODULES.

Does anybody have some good/complete example cases for this?

What's a good way to evolve this?
--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!