Re: BUILT_SOURCES called on `make dist` even if the built sources should

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: BUILT_SOURCES called on `make dist` even if the built sources should not be included in the dist
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 14:25:52 -0400

Hi Jerry,

On 9/17/19, Jerry Lundström <address@hidden> wrote:
> This problem seems to have been introduced in v1.16 with:
>
> - "./configure && make dist" no longer fails when a distributed file
> depends on one from BUILT_SOURCES.
>
> And what I can see in the Makefile output is that $(BUILT_SOURCES) has
> been added to distdir.
>
> I can't really see how this change got approved, isn't the point of
> BUILT_SOURCES to be sources built when building!?  Including them into
> distributions seems wrong.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem you are having is, because ...

[...]
> Here is an example:
>
> ```
> bin_PROGRAMS = test
>
> EXTRA_DIST = ext/TEST
>
> test_SOURCES = main.c
> test_LDADD = ext/built.o
>
> BUILT_SOURCES = ext/built.o
>
> ext/built.o:
>       echo "int sdkjfhskjhfskjd(void){ return 0; }" > ext/built.c
>       gcc -c ext/built.c -o ext/built.o
>
> CLEANFILES = ext/built.c ext/built.o
> ```

... I just ran this example with Automake 1.16.1 and neither ext/built.c
nor ext/built.o are included in the distribution tar file generated by
'make dist'.

So it seems to be working exactly as you wanted it to work.

Cheers,
  Nick