Re: configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "." "./.." "./../.."
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 19:42:37 -0600

    Guess the macro never really worked?

AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR is used in almost every package. For example,
Texinfo's configure.ac starts as below.  As the comment there says,
maybe you were using it after AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE?

AC_INIT([GNU Texinfo], [6.7dev], [bug-texinfo@gnu.org])

dnl Must come before AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([build-aux])
dnl tar-ustar because we have long filenames for some test files.
dnl parallel-tests as recommended by stefano.
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.14
                 info-in-builddir parallel-tests readme-alpha tar-ustar])

# Where to generate output; srcdir location.
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h:config.in])dnl Keep filename to 8.3 for MS-DOS.
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([info/info.c])

Oddly, I cannot find that necessary ordering mentioned in the
documentation. I'm not 100% sure it's always required, either.
I'll have to look into that. --thanks, karl.