Re: Automake's file locking (was Re: Autoconf/Automake is not using vers

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: Automake's file locking (was Re: Autoconf/Automake is not using version from AC_INIT)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:25:45 -0500

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 2:16 PM Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2021, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> >
> > The main reason I can think of, not to do this, is that it would make
> > the locking strategy incompatible with that used by older autom4te;
> > this could come up, for instance, if you’ve got your source directory
> > on NFS and you’re building on two different clients in two different
> > build directories.  On the other hand, this kind of version skew is
> > going to cause problems anyway when they fight over who gets to write
> > generated scripts to the source directory, so maybe it would be ok to
> > declare “don’t do that” and move on.  What do others think?
>
> This is exactly what I do.  I keep the source files on a file server
> so that I can build on several different types of clients.  This used
> to even include Microsoft Windows clients using CIFS.

Do you use different versions of autoconf and/or automake on the
different clients?

> The lock appears to be taken speculatively since it is taken before
> Autotools checks that there is something to do.
> The most common case is that there is nothing for Autotools to do
> since the user is most often doing a 'make' for some other purpose.

It looks to me like the lock is taken at exactly the point where
autom4te decides that it *does* have something to do. It might be
possible to change it to take a *read* lock first and only upgrade to
a write lock if new files are to be added to the cache, but Make
shouldn't be running the autotools at all if they have nothing to do
(which I suppose takes us over to the *other* thread about your
problems with automake and configure's dependencies :-)

zw