Re: config.sub/config.guess using nonportable $(...) substitutions

From: Dmitry V. Levin
Subject: Re: config.sub/config.guess using nonportable $(...) substitutions
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 02:00:45 +0300

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 01:21:57PM -0500, Nick Bowler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that config.sub (and config.guess) scripts were very recently
> changed to use the POSIX $(...) form for command substitutions.
[...]
> What was the motivation for this change?  Backquotes work fine and are
> more portable.  Can we just revert it so the script works again with
> traditional shells?  Surely these scripts should be maximally portable,
> I would think?
>
> [1]
> https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.70/autoconf.html#index-_0024_0028commands_0029

The only rationale provided by the previous maintainer so far is a short
message in config-patches mailing list [1].

I tried to reach the author of that change [2], but, unfortunately,
received no response.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/config-patches/2020-11/msg00011.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/config-patches/2020-12/msg00006.html

--