Re: parallel build issues

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: parallel build issues
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 14:10:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Now I want to do better :-) However, the problem persists:
`ttfautohintGUI` gets built in the `frontend` directory, and there is
a dependency on the binary in the `doc` directory.  Is there a clean
solution for that?

A non-recursive build (a single Makefile for everything) is quite valuable and avoids such problems. However, it requires more care to construct it.

It may feel more efficient as a developer to cd to a subdirectory in order to execute just part of a build, but in my experience this is usually a false savings due to a recursive build being more wasteful. It is possible to build just part of the software using a non-recursive build but it may be confusing unless you add dummy target names to make things easier.

It is possible to insert additional dependency lines in Makefile.am so software is always built in the desired order, but this approach might only work if you always build using the top level Makefile.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/