Re: `make dist` fails with current git

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: `make dist` fails with current git
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:32:24 -0400

On 2021-10-13, Zack Weinberg <zack@owlfolio.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, at 2:11 PM, Nick Bowler wrote:
>> I think this happened because your CI system has done a shallow clone.
>> So the changelog generation failed because the git log is incomplete.
>
> I did a --single-branch clone, but not a shallow one.  Shouldn't the trunk
> be self-contained?

I think --single-branch should be fine: it seems to work for me...

But with e.g., a "--depth 1" clone I get the exact same error you
reported (because the commit IDs mentioned in .git-log-fix are not
available).

A possible workaround (only if you don't care about the resulting
changelog being correct) would be to truncate .git-log-fix before
running make dist.

Cheers,
  Nick