Re: How to speed up 'automake'

From: Sam James
Subject: Re: How to speed up 'automake'
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 04:09:37 +0100

> On 22 May 2022, at 02:32, Karl Berry <karl@freefriends.org> wrote:
>
> Unrelated to Jan's depend.am change, but it turns out that a previous
> change broke make distcheck (768 failures). I don't feel right about
> committing anything else until that is fixed.
>
> Error below. Jim (or anyone), can you easily advise? I haven't delved
> into this part of things before. (Not sure how many of the failures are
> due to these errors, but I suspect most.) --thanks,karl.
>
> FAIL: contrib/t/multilib
> ..
> configure.ac:4: warning: _AM_PROG_RM_F is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
> aclocal.m4:139: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
> configure.ac:4: the top level
> configure.ac:4: warning: _AM_PROG_XARGS_N is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
> aclocal.m4:139: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
> configure.ac:4: the top level
> configure:2411: error: possibly undefined macro: _AM_PROG_RM_F
>      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>      See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure:2412: error: possibly undefined macro: _AM_PROG_XARGS_N

Hm. master is OK for me:
```
PASS: contrib/t/multilib.sh
[...]
PASS: t/depcomp-lt-auto.tap 84 - [absolute VPATH, nostatic] make distclean
Testsuite summary for GNU Automake 1.16i
# TOTAL: 2988
# PASS:  2879
# SKIP:  70
# XFAIL: 39
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
```

I was going to bisect but if it doesn't fail for me in the first place... :(