Re: Avrdude error when uploading

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: Avrdude error when uploading
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 21:12:40 +0800

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 4:47 PM Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad@silmor.de> wrote:
> the Nano clones from China often have bad or no bootloaders. This can be
> very frustrating. I have dozens of those and only the ones I flashed
> myself have the correct bootloader...
>
> My recommendation: buy an USBasp clone on Amazon or eBay (a bit under
> 10Euro or 10$US) and forget about the on-board bootloader - it is much
> much easier to use the proper ISP port and dispense with fiddling with
> the finicky reset logic of the bootloader. If you can afford it you
> could buy an AVR ISP mkII clone instead for about 20-25 bucks - those
> are (in my experience) a bit easier to use and even more stable than the
> USBasp.

Indeed usbasp is probably the most popular low cost programmers
and it is rather cheap -- you can get it around US$3 to US$5
from AliExpress (shipment may take a bit of time).

And yes AVR ISP mkii clones are also pretty good for its price.

There are other alternatives as well like USBtinyISP, FT232R/FT245R
based programmers or PICKit 2 clones or  things like that.
Ref:
https://github.com/avrdudes/avrdude/discussions/1019#discussioncomment-3128949

--
Xiaofan