Re: [DejaGnu] dumb user question

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [DejaGnu] dumb user question
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:53:41 -0600

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 08:36:13AM -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Maybe I am being dense here but I see "compile, link, and don't
> run" as more generally than just for gcc.  In testing anything
> cross, I have always wanted to make sure the tools could
> compile and link the entire test suite before messing with
> the embedded target.  I was thinking of some general support

  The problem is that about all DejaGnu can do is add minimal support
for this. The real work would be modifying any test suites (like gcc)
to actually determine at runtime what test to run or not.

  I'm planning on adding "test sets" though, which I guess could be used
to do this. A test set is a subset of a complete test suite, with a
specialized purpose, like just a sanity check.

> inside DejaGNU where an option avoided the run part.  If it
> did not link, it fails.  I am not sure exactly what to report
> if it links.  It could be an expect pass or fail so automatically
> saying pass or fail is deceptive.  I suppose a "linked not run"

  Hum. maybe... I'll think about it, maybe I can work something out.

        - rob -