Re: DejaGnu-tutorial

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: DejaGnu-tutorial
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:52:23 -0600

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 12:50:36PM +0200, Niklaus Giger wrote:

> Some time ago (Nov 2001) I submitted on the same mailing list a propopal for
> a short introduction into getting DejaGnu up and running. I never got a
> response from you whether you would accept such a tutorial and integrate it
> into the DejaGnu distribution.

  Sorry, I got a major work project dropped in my lap a few months ago, and the
only problem was I had to crank it out... so I've gotten a bit behind in
email.

> infrastructure. There DejaGnu is still our favorite tool and I hope to get it
> working quite soon and I may therefore afterwards also justify some
> professional time to improve on the documentation. (Unless we find a better
> tool, we had a quick look at qmtest. It has a graphical user-interface but is
> not so good a cross-testing which is our primary concern.)

  I've actually been considering a Tk GUI for DejaGnu, but I'm not a GUI
programmer. I had a simple one for cross testing I used at Cygnus, but it
would need major work to be releasable. Part of the idea of the GUI was to
also help analyse all the log files, do diffs, etc... I have a bunch of other
changes I'd like to make before I work on a GUI however. Chief among these is
an ability to run subsets of test cases, as well as restart a test run where
you left off. I also want to revamp the cross testing target database and
multilib testing, as both have grown way too much spagetti code. Actually a GUI
would be great for setting all the target board options.

> Rob, could you please give me your point of view whether you want or not to
> integrate it into the DejaGnu-distribution or under what conditions.

  I'd love to integrate it, as DejaGnu needs more of this kind of
documentation. Now that I made my deadline 2 weeks ago, (whew!) and took off
for 2 weeks of camping, I should be able to work through my backlog of DejaGnu
messages and projects. At least that's the plan.

        - rob -