Re: Configuring dejagnu without a C++ compiler

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: Re: Configuring dejagnu without a C++ compiler
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:02:34 -0400 (EDT)

  >> Is the single C++ test case really worth all the trouble?  Could it be
  >> replaced with a different test, or rewritten in C?

  Rob>   Nope. It's testing the C++ features of the dejagnu.h header
  Rob>   file. I program mostly in C++ these days. I'll probably merge
  Rob>   in Nick's patch instead. I have a hard time believing anyone
  Rob>   at Redhat doesn't have a working C++ compiler in their path
  Rob>   though. :-)

I'm not thinking about DejaGnu users at Red Hat -- I'm thinking about
other users.  DejaGnu is used for testing projects used in a
bootstrap, like binutils and gcc.  Thus, I feel it should still be
conservative in its build requirements and be easy to build on minimal
systems.  For example, if I didn't have a C++ compiler, I might want
to build and test g++, but I can't test g++ because DejaGnu needs a
native C++ compiler.

At the very least, Nick's suggestion of somehow skipping the test when
there is no C++ compiler present is a good one.

Ben