Re: tests failing sometimes

From: Baurjan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: tests failing sometimes
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:58:52 +0200

Hello, Michael!

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:04:40PM -0400, Michael Chastain wrote:
> > 2. I've tried this, it fails constantly on the second test. What is the
> >    problem?
> Don't know, but my first suspicion is a Tcl quoting problem.
>
> (Don't really have time to dig into this, sorry).

No problem, I asked just in case that someone has some insight (and two
of you did, which I'm happy about).

Back to the sheep: as I've already mentioned, I first started with
matching both outputs (after "file" and after "list"), and it failed
constantly. After your and Daniel's suggestions the first match
succeeds, but the second still fails, whereas the wrong test with
send_gdb followed by gdb_test succeeded in 94% of cases with the present
quoting (that is why I had concluded it was the way to do that). To
summarize, the RE proper seems to work.

OTOH, what do you think about the following log:

GNU gdb 6.2_2004-08-13-cvs
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
(gdb) set height 0
(gdb) set width 0
(gdb) file a
Reading symbols from /mnt/hda5/ibr/src/g/gdb-6.2/gdb/testsuite/a...done.
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) PASS: file a

(gdb) FAIL: a
testcase ./gdb.base/a.exp completed in 0 seconds

How would you explain the presence of the prompt on the line with FAIL
and the absence of the list command before it? I suppose dejagnu doesn't
send newlines between the commands?

This output was generated with the following test:

system "echo \"main(){}\" >a.c"
gdb_compile a.c a executable {debug additional_flags=-w}
gdb_start
gdb_test "file a\n" ""
gdb_test "l main\n" {1.main\(\){}.*} "a"

The runtest -v -v -v output is attached. A couple of questions before
looking into the sources:

1. Can I see the PASS conclusions?

2. What are those "partial: match" lines?

I would be very grateful if anyone could help.

Thanks in advance,
Baurjan.