Re: build improvement

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: build improvement
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:29:44 -0600

Ben Elliston wrote:

I've noticed a growing trend amongst other projects to eliminate
recursive make.  DejaGnu is a small enough project that a single, well
documented Makefile.am would be managable.  What do others think about
eliminating the tangled tree of Makefile.ams we have now?

Tangled tree of Makefiles ? Other than the examples, there are very few Makefiles. I've played with the single top level Makefile idea before, and it is faster. Whether it's more maintainable or not I think is personal opinion. I don't have any motivation to make this change myself, but if somebody else did, I probably wouldn't gripe when it came time to check it in. Most of the DejaGnu Makefiles are pretty simple.

Just as a question, what other projects ? I haven't downloaded a single free software package using this technique, so I'm curious.

   - rob-