Re: PATCH: flatten Makefile tree

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: Re: PATCH: flatten Makefile tree
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:46:41 +1100

> > This patch substantially flattens the tree of Makefile.am's we have.
> > All of the testsuite Makefile.ams have now been collected in the
> > top-level Makefile.am.
>
> Well, considering the lower level Makefiles don't really do much,
> this isn't much of a change anyway.

The change, as I see it, is that it brings more stuff into the
top-level Makefile and reduces the unnecessary use of recursive make.
There is less maintenance to do and it's easier to maintain a single
Makefile than a dozen tiny ones.

>    Well, the main reason they were built by default was to make sure
> they stayed maintained. But I'll agree with you that most people
> just want to install DejaGnu to run the an existing testsuite, and
> those that don't should have no problem cd'ing into the directory
> and typing make.  I wouldn't mind having a top level Makefile target
> of "build-examples" though.

We could do that.  Why not just call the target `examples', though?

Ben