dejagnu and autotools

From: borco
Subject: dejagnu and autotools
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:56:57 +0300

Hi,

I would like to add dejagnu suport to some project I am working on.

The project is organized like this:

TOP_DIR
  src/
    client1/
    client2/
    server/
    common/
      lib1/
        test/
      lib2/
        test/

The TOP_DIR/src/common/ dir contains some utility libs that are statically linked into client1, client2 and server. Each utility library has its own test directory with some unit-testing binaries done with cppunit. These unit-testing binaries are run on "make check".

My goal is to add some automated tested for client1, client2 and server.

I have read some intro docs about expect, tcl and dejagnu, but the dejagnu docs are a bit confusing, in my opinion. Playing with the example project from the dejagnu docs is more like a try-and-error exercise.

I still don't know exactly what is the recommended way to add support for dejagnu and how to organize the dejagnu tests. Should I add it to the Makefile.am from the TOP_DIR ? Add it to each of client1, client2 and server ? I would like to keep all the new dejagnu tests under a TOP_DIR/dejagnu dir. How do I create new tests and how do I pass dejagnu the paths of client1, client2 and server so that "make distchek" works correctly?

How do I set up remote testing with ssh?

In the "dejagnu.test" example that comes with the dejagnu distro, there are a couple of files:

  testsuite/config/unix.exp
  testsuite/calc.test/calc.exp

How are these files named? From what I have gathered, the most important is the testsuite/config/unix.exp. Also, all files found in testsuite/calc.test/ are treated as tests for the "calc" tool. However, the generic testsuite/config/unix.exp is the one that actually spawns the calc tool. Why this separation? What should I put in testsuite/config/unix.exp and what in files from testsuite/calc.test ?

How do I add tests for a different executable, say calc2 ?

TIA,
--
Ionutz Borcoman

http://borco.net/