RE: Assistance Request

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Assistance Request
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:49:20 -0000

On 12 February 2008 19:15, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

>> From: "Dave Korn" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:52:27 -0000

>>> Why?
>>
>>   Because the simulator is not remote and does not need to be accessed by
>> rsh/telnet/whatever?
>
> I don't think that's what the isremote means.  To me it seems to
> mean "can execute on the local host just like any program".

  "isremote" means that?  Or "isremote 0" (which to me means "!isremote")
means that?

> By this definition a simulator is remote.

  I really don't understand this statement; ISTM that a simulator "can execute
on the local host just like any program".

>>> No, don't do that; don't add random things for no known reason.
>>
>>   But if the simulator really *is* not remote, wouldn't /not/ setting it be
>> just plain wrong?
>
> No; consider that no other sim testboard file sets isremote 0.

  That's a reasonable point, but I wouldn't know how to draw any inferences
from it without further study.

>>> If you "need it", it's because something else is wrong and you're
>>> papering over it.
>>
>>   Well, if you don't set it, there are a whole bunch of "if [is_remote
>> host] {" clauses in the gcc testsuite .exp scripts that are going to be
>> activated and attempt to do such things as upload test files or download
>> target headers or gcov results from the hypothetical remote board.
>
> We're talking about "[is_remote target]".

  Oh, yes, I see that now.  Well, in that case, "isremote" is AFAICT not used
*anywhere* except in a line of verbose output, where its value is reported.
And I want my output to claim that the simulator is not remote.

  I'll try a testrun with and without it and see if it makes any difference.

    cheers,
      DaveK