Re: honoring gcc test stack size

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: honoring gcc test stack size
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:59:17 -0600

Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:12:45 -0600
From: Joel Sherrill <address@hidden>

Would it make sense in the future as a (beginner?)
GCC project to let me generate a set of GCC testresults
and let someone see which tests have issues honoring
the stack size.

(Run 1) Run with a small 2-8K stack.
(Run 2) Run with 256K or 512K stack and print stack
  usage via an atexit() function.

I'd suggest something like 64M (large enough to PASS most hungry
tests, but doesn't oom your machine), 512K is still a bit small.

What passed in Run 2 but fails in Run 1 has a stack issue
and the report in Run 2's log would show the peak.

Repeat until the runs have the same results.

Would that be useful?

Yes, I think so.
OK.  I will add it to the GCC Projects page.
Would this go into the Bug Patrol section of the
Beginner Projects section?

--joel
brgds, H-P

address@hidden        On-Line Applications Research
  Support Available             (256) 722-9985