Re: autotools clean up

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: autotools clean up
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:18:53 -0600

On 06/25/12 23:33, Sami Kerola wrote:
> Hello dejagnu maintainers,
>
> See attachment for rather large patch. I took liberty to remove all
> autofiles from git repository.
>
> $ git diff HEAD~1 --shortstat
>
> I described commit having the following changes.
>
>     Do not include autotools generated files in git
>
>         * remove files autotools will generate
>         * add 'autogen.sh' script to allow easy regeneration of autofiles
>         * modify sub-projects to be sub-directory builds
>         * remove files required by sub-projects
>         * add m4 directory to top level
>         * add libtool configure.ac
>         * add autoscan recommended checks to configure.ac
>         * fix include paths in couple .c files
>         * add .gitignore file
>         * enable maintainer to 'make dist' package
>         * modify README file to tell how to build git version

  So some of these changes I'd agree with, and some not. I'll be honest
that for my Gnash project, which has a very complex config/build
infrastructure, I do some of the same things you mention here. DejaGnu's
is very simple, as it has no real compiled code, it's just a big Tcl
script. The parts of your patch I like are adding autogen.sh (as long as
it doesn't then run configure). Adding .gitignore is ok, but we don't
need libtool, nor autoscan. Also make dist works for me already.

  It is traditional to not commit the configure script, but I see no
problem with using aclocal.m4 (should be acinclude.m4) instead of an m4
sub directory.

        - rob -