Re: [RFA] fix remote testing I/O conflicts

From: Yvan Roux
Subject: Re: [RFA] fix remote testing I/O conflicts
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 11:23:00 +0100

Hey Rob,

On 7 March 2016 at 11:16, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 03/03/2016 01:45 AM, Yvan Roux wrote:
>
>> To fix this issue, changing the layout to have the testcases
>> downloaded and executed inside "/tmp/pid/" directory would do the job,
>> but as this change might have an impact on other project or on other
>> config which use remote_download, my proposal is to offer the
>> possibility to define the remote directory in which testcases will be
>> downloaded and executed with a target board info named "remote_dir".
>> A board spec with the line bellow will then fix our issue:
>
>   I'll look into this, not sure if anyone else but Linaro is doing
> multiple builds in parallel. I think I lean towards the "/tmp/pid/"
> solution. I don't believe this would break anything else, but would of
> course want to make the change and try it.

Ok cool, thanks

>   The other easy solution is to not have multiple Jenkins executors on
> the same machine. :-)

the issue is that even with one executor we can have conflicts, the
root cause is the parallel make check (with -j 8 we have 8 fortran
subdirs in which tests are done sequentially but the 8 parallel
executions are all done in the user remote homedir) but yes multiple
builds in parallel increase the potential conflicts.