Multiple-pass testing, implemented but neither documented nor tested

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Multiple-pass testing, implemented but neither documented nor tested
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 18:36:46 -0600

I recently ran into a fairly nasty bug (<URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-dejagnu/2018-10/msg00000.html>) while using the support in DejaGnu for multiple-pass testing ("MULTIPASS"). This has led to a few years of minor frustrations that have built up now being dumped into a stream of patches.

I have a few big questions on this topic:

- I have been calling the feature MULTIPASS, after the name of the Tcl variable that activates it. What is the proper name for this feature as it should appear in the manual?

- Where should documentation about this feature be inserted into the manual?

- What are the specifications for this feature?

- What are some assertions that should be tested to verify this feature? (*Note A POSIX compliant test framework: (dejagnu)A POSIX Conforming Test Framework.)

-- Jacob