Re: Can we deprecate $subdir?

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: Re: Can we deprecate $subdir?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:15:27 +1100

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 07:43:41PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:

> As part of the ongoing effort to improve Automake integration and
> mindful of the eventual goal to run test scripts in slave
> interpreters, I have come to the conclusion that it would be better
> to provide an API call for getting filenames in the testsuite rather
> than expecting test scripts to use variables.  API calls can be
> aliased back into a master interpreter, while variable namespaces
> are separate between interpreters.

In principle, I like this idea.

It's difficult to properly control an API when users have direct
access to internal variables of the test framework. Deprecating
$subdir is going to be difficult (*), but perhaps we could do
something like adding another runtest option that helps the
maintainers of testsuites to find and remove deprecated features (for
example, by not setting $subdir and catching the error as it
propagates up to runtest.exp).

* The GCC testsuite uses $subdir extensively and I'm sure other
testsuites do, too.

Cheers,
Ben