Re: isremote and unix board special handling question

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: isremote and unix board special handling question
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:07:36 -0700

On 11/27/18 7:27 PM, Ben Elliston wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 06:53:17PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
>
>> As we see, set_board_info only works if the specified /entry/ has not
>> already been defined.
>
> That is consistent with the manual:
>
>   @node set_board_info procedure, [...]
>   This checks if @code{board_info} array's field @emph{entry} has been
>   set already and if not, then sets it to @emph{value}.
>
> Rob, I never understood why this was so. Why not just override board
> settings? Perhaps that explains why I have seen DejaGnu baseboard
> definitions that modify the board_info array directly rather than go
> via proc set_board_info.

  Oh god, now I have to apologize to the whole world. :-) This is one of
those things that shows that shows I never really *thought* about
designing DejaGnu, I just built it... Plus we were already using it for
toolchain testing, so the short answer is the proc functions didn't
exist originally if I remember right. (about a software change done 25
years ago).

  I always wanted to fix the lack of design, and also not break any
existing testsuites, but after trying to find funding for this for years
and failing, never got around to it.

        - rob -