Re: PATCH: redefine $decimal, $hex, $text vars

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: PATCH: redefine $decimal, $hex, $text vars
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 00:01:30 -0600

Ben Elliston wrote:
I think this patch is an improvement becaue it (a) is much more
readable and (b) matches non-ASCII characters when non-English locales
are used.

Are we sure that DejaGnu should be sensitive to locales at all? Perhaps the runtest shell script should always export LOCALE=C?

I really do not think that the hex and decimal patterns should ever match non-ASCII: those seem to be intended for parsing output from other programs.

Generally, matching non-ASCII characters in non-English locales sounds like a good idea at first glance, but I expect it to prove to be another "hidden influence" that users are likely to overlook. We would need to be very careful about this, and changing variables that existing testsuites might depend on in this way is fraught with peril. (Annoyingly so, since I wanted to change "text" to {[^\r\n]+}.)

-- Jacob