Re: PATCH: add dejagnu(1) multi-launcher

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: PATCH: add dejagnu(1) multi-launcher
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 18:05:23 -0600

Ben Elliston wrote:
When installed, dejagnu(1) doesn't work;

$ ~/build/install/bin/dejagnu --help
ERROR: could not find command directory.

The dejagnu tests report UNSUPPORTED for the same reason.

That is because there are no commands in this patch, so the command directory would be empty and (as far as I know) Git cannot record an empty directory. The testsuite checks for this and generates UNSUPPORTED for some results (but not commands.exp, which uses its own command directory); "mkdir commands" in the DejaGnu source directory will fix the test results. The installed launcher does not work yet because there are no commands and thus no command directory: "mkdir @datadir@/dejagnu/commands" will fix it for now.

This problem will go away when the first actual command is added, since then commands/ will always exist in the source tree and @datadir@/dejagnu/commands/ will be created during installation.

This was left as it is to keep the patch simpler; I could add a "help" command (separate from --help and analogous to "git help") that forwards to man(1) as "git help" does. It should be simple enough to implement and would also resolve these problems. Would rolling that into the patch be a preferred option?

-- Jacob