Re: What is a "target"? (was: "tool-and-target-specific" configuration f

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: Re: What is a "target"? (was: "tool-and-target-specific" configuration files)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 20:58:10 +1100

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 08:54:02PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:

> Well, now it is my turn to be confused: what *is* the intended
> difference between board and target?

Let's see if my long-held understanding is correct. :-)

I think you're close.

There are host boards (usually a Unix box) and target boards (often
embedded boards). Boards are a description of the system environment
and are, ultimately, specific to a machine/board (including details
such as its hostname).  Boards can be inherited from other boards or
"baseboards".  Usually the baseboard fills in all of the generic
details like linker flags. A board configuration file will set the
concrete stuff like the hostname.

> I am trying to make a clean distinction between "Customizing
> DejaGnu" (adapting DejaGnu to a particular testing lab) and
> "Extending DejaGnu" (adding testsuites, tools, tests, etc.).
> Essentially, everything needed to run existing tests in a new
> environment fits in the "Customizing DejaGnu" chapter, while the
> step-by-step procedures for adding new tests/tools/testsuites fit in
> the "Extending DejaGnu" chapter.

Agreed.

> A new chapter (tentatively titled "DejaGnu Testsuite Layout") will
> explain what goes where in a DejaGnu testsuite.

Excellent--much needed!

Cheers, Ben