Re: AVR simulator support

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: AVR simulator support
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 16:11:18 -0500

Pip Cet wrote:
I'm running the GCC testsuite on AVR using the simulator included in
binutils-gdb, and an avr-sim.exp file, which essentially duplicates
all the other *-sim.exp files.

Is that the right way, or should I be using generic-sim.exp or multi-sim.exp?

The multi-sim.exp file seems to be for testing multilib targets and the generic-sim.exp file seems to be for the Cygnus multi-target simulator. As far as I can tell right now, avr-sim.exp should be a separate board file.

If the right way is to use an avr-sim.exp file, what's the best way of
adding one to the DejaGNU distribution?

Posting on the mailing list was the first step.  :-)

I think the changes qualify as
"tiny", but obviously signing a copyright assignment is not a problem
if that's the preferred way.

Please contact <assign@gnu.org> to get the forms.

The only complications are that the AVR simulator needs an extra
object file to be linked, an extra -mmcu=* flag to be provided during
compilation, and that a different libc is used.

I'm attaching my avr-sim.exp for reference.

I see a few changes to make on a first glance:
1. Beginning with 1.6.3 (to be released soon) and in current Git, the "compiler" board_info key is optional and [find_gcc] is evaluated to obtain a default value. If avr-sim.exp needs avr-gcc, using [find_gcc] is probably wrong and it should select "avr-gcc" instead. 2. There is a comment about the simulator not having arguments or signals that should be directly before the "noargs" and "gdb,nosignals" lines; if this came from another file in DejaGnu, please tell me which file so I can fix it. 3. The avr-libc include and link flags should probably be overridable using environment variables, instead of hard-coded empty strings.

-- Jacob