Re: testsuite under wine

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: testsuite under wine
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:37:34 -0600

NightStrike wrote:
[...]
Second, the problems with extra \r's still remain, but I think we've
generally come to think that that part isn't Wine and is instead
either the testsuite or deja.  So I'll keep those replies to Jacob's

Most likely, it is a combination of the MinGW libc (which emits "\r\n" for end-of-line in accordance with Windows convention) and the kernel terminal driver (which passes "\r" and translates "\n" to "\r\n" in accordance with POSIX convention). Wine, short of trying to translate "\r\n" back to "\n" in accordance with POSIX conventions (and likely making an even bigger mess---does Wine know if a handle is supposed to be text or binary?) cannot really fix this, so the testsuite needs to handle non-POSIX-standard line endings. (The Rust tests probably have an outright bug if the newlines are being duplicated.)

-- Jacob